BENEFITS OF WALKING !
The benefits of walking could not be enumerated in a single essay.Dr Mercola has empahsised the following points which is worth reading:
If you want to add seven years to your lifespan, set aside 20 to 25 minutes for a daily walk. This simple habit, which can also arguably be one of the most enjoyable parts of your day, has been found to trigger an anti-aging process and even help repair old DNA.
The research, presented at the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Congress, followed 69 people between the ages of 30 and 60. Those who engaged in daily moderate exercise, such as a brisk walk or jog, high-intensity interval training (HIIT), and strength training experienced anti-aging benefits that could add an additional three to seven years to your life.The researchers recommended a 20-minute daily walk to reap these benefits.
As noted by Katy Bowman, a scientist and author of the book, Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement’
“Walking is a superfood. It’s the defining movement of a human.”
As mentioned, walking may help to slow down the aging process, and it works no matter what age you get started. Study author Sanjay Sharma, professor of inherited cardiac diseases in sports cardiology at St. George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in London, told The Independent:
“We may never avoid becoming completely old, but we may delay the time we become old. We may look younger when we’re 70 and may live into our nineties. Exercise buys you three to seven additional years of life. It is an antidepressant, it improves cognitive function, and there is now evidence that it may retard the onset of dementia.”
Harvard Medical School lists out the five benefits of walking as follows:
- It counteracts the effects of weight-promoting genes.Harvard researchers looked at 32 obesity-promoting genes in over 12,000 people to determine how much these genes actually contribute to body weight. They then discovered that, among the study participants who walked briskly for about an hour a day, the effects of those genes were cut in half.
- It helps tame a sweet tooth.A pair of studies from the University of Exeter found that a 15-minute walk can curb cravings for chocolate and even reduce the amount of chocolate you eat in stressful situations. And the latest research confirms that walking can reduce cravings and intake of a variety of sugary snacks.
- It reduces the risk of developing breast cancer.Researchers already know that any kind of physical activity blunts the risk of breast cancer. But an American Cancer Society study that zeroed in on walking found that women who walked seven or more hours a week had a 14% lower risk of breast cancer than those who walked three hours or fewer per week. And walking provided this protection even for the women with breast cancer risk factors, such as being overweight or using supplemental hormones.
- It eases joint pain.Several studies have found that walking reduces arthritis-related pain, and that walking five to six miles a week can even prevent arthritis from forming in the first place. Walking protects the joints — especially the knees and hips, which are most susceptible to osteoarthritis — by lubricating them and strengthening the muscles that support them.
- It boosts immune function.Walking can help protect you during cold and flu season. A study of over 1,000 men and women found that those who walked at least 20 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, had 43% fewer sick days than those who exercised once a week or less. And if they did get sick, it was for a shorter duration, and their symptoms were milder.So why should not we walk everyday at least for 30 minute.
Thanks to Dr Mercola and Harvard Medical School!
Pic Source : https://media.mercola.com/ImageServer/Public/2015/October/walking-every-day-fb.jpg
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs: Respect for self, Respect for others and Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realise you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. You’ll die, but may achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
Pic Source : https://cdn.eventfinda.co.nz/uploads/events/transformed/351654-181230-34.jpg
Power of Yoga II : Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
The sage of Thiruvannamalai, India the great saint Ramana Maharishi has never revealed His true powers. But yet devotees were aware of His greatness.At the time of His death the devotees got the firm confirmation that verily He is a great saint.The ancient Hindu looked upon the Nakshatras ( meaning Stars ) as the abodes of the Gods.The Taittiriya Brahmana (I.5.2.5) declares that “Devaktahaha vai nakshatrani” .The Satapatha Brahmana also declares that the “stars are the lights of religious men”.The great rishis believed that one day they themselves would pass on to one of the heavenly luminaries.
In this context let us see what had happened at the moment Ramana left his body.In 1949 a small nodule appeared below the elbow of his left arm. This was cut. But within a month it returned and it was recognized as a tumour.Aruthur Osborne in his biography of ‘Ramana Maharishi’ says:Did Ramana really suffer? He said to one devotee:”Where is pain if there is no mind?”
He expounded a verse from the Yoga Vasistham: “The Gnani (meaning true Yogi) who has found himself as formless pure Awareness in unaffected though the body be cleft with a sword. Sugarcandy does not lose its sweetness though broken or crushed”Indeed when he was operated the doctors were amazed at Maharishi’s indifference to pain.When doctors pronounced failure of the treatment, Ramana was asked to say himself what treatment should be tried. He said, “Have I ever asked for any treatment? It is you who want this and that for me, so it is for you to agree about it among yourselves. If I were asked I should always say, as I have said from the beginning, that no treatment is necessary. Let things take their course.”
April 14th 1950.
Osborne explains the last moments of Ramana :
A group of devotees sitting on the veranda outside the hall began singing ‘Arunachala Siva’. On hearing it Ramana’s eyes opened and shone. He gave a brief smile of indescribable tenderness. From the outer edges of his eyes tears of bliss rolled down. One more deep breath and no more. There was no struggle, no spasm, no other sign of death; only that the next breath did not come”
The time was 8.47 p.m.
At the very moment an enormous star had trailed slowly across the sky.Many had seen it even as far away as Madras, and felt what it portended. It passed to the north-east towards the peak of Arunachala hill.As per the the Taittiriya Brahmana and the Satapatha Brahmana the greatest of the great saints, Ramana became a star Indeed he has proved the ancient texts in modern times.
We can see one more incident to know who is He? T.K.Sundaresa Iyer was an ardent devotee of Ramana, recorded an interesting incident in his book, ‘At the feet of Bhagavan’:Once Ramana was in the Virupaksha Cave on the Thiruvannamalai Hill.One evening after 7 p.m., they were all coming down the Hill to go round Arunachala.The other devotees had all gone in advance; only Sri Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni was in the company of Ramana, and they were slowly climbing down the steps from the cave.
When they had walked a few steps, all of a sudden Ramana stopped, and with HimGanapathy muni as well. The full moon was shining bright in the last in the starry sky.Pointing to the moon and the beautiful sky, Ramana said: “Nayana! (Ramana maharishi used to call him affectionately thus) If the moon and all the stars have their being in ME, and the sun himself goes round My hip with his satellites, who am I? Who am I?”This remark of Ramana made his blessed disciple envisage the Master as Great Person of the Vedas, as described in ‘Sri Rudra’, the ‘Purusha Sukta’ and the ‘Skamba Sukta’,
and the Atharva Veda. He is verily all these and That beyond; there is nothing that is not He.Ganapathy Muni later made this revelation known to all devotees.Ramana’s powers are indescribable.
Pic Source : http://blog.professionalsupplementcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Power-Of-Yoga-Part-2..jpg
Zen Way For Perfect Peace and Harmony – Nagarajan
In order to learn Zen you have to unlearn first. Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen. Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor’s cup full, and then kept on pouring.The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. “It is overfull. No more will go in!” “Like this cup,” Nan-in said, “you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?” If you want to know the teachings of the Zen master, you have to empty what you have in your mental cup.
Zen practice developed in India as an offshoot of Buddhism. A Zen master from India, Bodhidharma of Mahayana stream of Buddhism is believed to have traveled to China where he met the Chinese Emperor Wu in 475 A.D. The emperor was Wu was deeply fascinated by Bodhidhrama’s teachings on meditation.When this dhyan or ch’an in Chinese traveled to Japan it came to be known as Zen.
Zen is an abbreviation of the Japanese word of Zenna which means Dhyan or Meditation. If you want to know your true nature, sit Zazen. Zazen is the actualization of your true nature.
Zazen is the mind control technique. When you practice mind control, sit in the proper position stay perfectly tranquil and do not permit the least movement of your mind to disturb you.In our daily living there are lots of distractions, both criticism and admiration. Zazen makes us to handle both admiration and criticism in our day to day life.
Buddhism is to learn serenity and tranquility directly, and to practice it. For this we have to empty the mental cup which is full of negative thoughts and feelings. The enlightenment or Satori or self realization is perfect peace and harmony.You are Buddha, free from all sufferings. Zen practice will make you to realize this truth.
Pic Source : http://www.theelysium.in/images/zenwayoflife.png
One Paragraph That Explains Life !
Arthur Ashe, the legendary Wimbledon player was dying of AIDS caused by infected blood he received during a heart surgery in 1983. From the world over, he received letters from his fans, one of which conveyed: “Why does God have to select you for such a bad disease”. To this, Arthur Ashe replied: The world over fifty million children start playing tennis, five million learn to play tennis, five lakhs learn professional tennis, fifty thousand come to the circuit, five thousand reach the grand slam, fifty reach Wimbledon, four get to the semi-final and two to the finals. When I was holding the Wimbledon Cup, I never asked God, “Why me?” So, today in pain I should not be asking God: “Why me?”
நன்றி: TRUTH WEEKLY 28-4- 2017 ISSUE
Pic Source : http://www.quotemaster.org/images/24/244ccc7ceb7685bd971c3e6b91533d4b.jpg
Courage and Reputation!
There is an inspirational Zen story on Courage:
There was a boy who was born without a right arm. On his ninth birthday he asked his parents if he could join a karate club. They were delighted by the idea and the boy quickly became a regular at the local dojo. The boy wanted to compete in a tournament and asked his master if this was possible. The master said he could but only if he listened carefully to his master and trusted him.
The master taught the boy one move and one move only. The boy practised it diligently but after a while he was worried that the other boys were learning a range of moves and he only had one. He asked the master to teach him other moves but the master said no. The master just urged the boy to keep practising that one move.
The boy won the first round of the tournament and then the next round and the one after that until he found himself winning the entire tournament. The boy was baffled. How did he do it? He asked the master how a boy with only one arm and only one move could win a karate tournament against these other boys. The master smiled and told the boy that there is only one defence against the move the boy learned and that defence involves grabbing the attacker by the right arm. Have courage. Do not run as a coward when you are facing inevitable problem.There is an anecdote about an Athenian. An Athenian, who was lame in one foot, was laughed at by the soldiers on account of lameness.“I am here to fight,” said he, “not to run.”
Before checking anybody’s reputation please check your reputation and how others view and think about you.The following anecdote will throw insight on reputation.One of the powerful figures in Wall Street fell in love with an actress and for many months danced constant attendance upon her and squired her about in the fashionable circles of town. Deciding to marry her, he first prudently put a private detective to the job of looking into her antecedents in order to guard himself against any rash mistake.
At last he received his agent’s report. “Miss Blank enjoys an excellent reputation. Her past is spotless. Her associates have been irreproachable. The only breath of scandal is that, in recent months, she has been much seen in the company of a business man of doubtful reputation.
Check yourself first before checking others!
Pic Source : http://theleadershipcontract.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/14-12-08-Reputation.jpg