How to increase IQ? Solving problems by selective encoding -Part I
Human beings are the only animals that can consciously decide to choose what and how to think, the mindset to have or the mood to adopt. All other animals act automatic.
In order to think effectively ‘Mind fitness is essential’ says John O’Keeffe.
He has given the following exercise in his book, ‘Your one week way to Mind fitness’:
Imagine the following situation. A boy and his father are driving along in a car and are involved in a severe head-on car crash. They are both very badly injured and trapped in wreckage. The ambulance arrives and manages to get the body out first and drives him away rapidly to hospital with sirens blazing. The boy is put in a cubicle, looks at the boy and says: ‘Oh dear, It is Peter, my son’.
What is the relationship between the doctor and the boy and what has happened?Please do not read further.
Think about this for a few moments and find out the answer.
People think of various solutions to this problem. For example they think of stepfathers and stepsons. They think of situations in which the father is released from the wreckage and is flown by helicopter to the hospital and the father is actually the doctor who sees his son. Some people think of solutions that involve priests who might call someone ‘my son’ in a clerical way or even priests who might be called ‘Father’ in the first place.
The simple solution is that the doctor is the boy’s mother.
It is quite shocking to see how many people do not find the solution easily.
If it took you longer than a millisecond to get it, then the problem is your mind-set, even your prejudice.
The logic of the problem is incredibly easy: the boy has two parents, a mother and father. If the father is still in the wreckage, it is clear that it must be the other parent who is the doctor and that is his mother.It makes even more sense because the medical profession is one in which many females work.
Take one more problem.
In a country that allows polygamy, a man married three women. Each woman had only one husband, and each woman had a legitimate child. Yet none of these children were at all related to each other. How is this possible?
Is it baffling? In order to solve this problem selective encoding is required for its solution. Once you master selective encoding technique you can solve the complicated problems.
The answer for the above problem:
The man performed the marriage ceremonies. The critical word in this problem is ‘married.’ The man married the various women,but he did not himself become married to them.
Robert J Sternberg in his famous book A Triarchic theory of Human Intelligence explains in detail about selective encoding. Apart from the above cited problem he has given many more interesting problems to solve.
We will see them in our next article.
Pic Source : www.rivaliq.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Social-IQ-main-image.jpg
My dearest Friends,
This Video was really important to us, then our topics today are: choose the right Friend in your Life & Avarampoo Vada.
Remember always, the right friend will always support your dream! Again thanks for all your love and support! We must care about each other, that´s why Health first!
If you like our Health Project just make sure, that you are following us on YouTube.
Ingredients for Avarampoo Vada:
– green chilli
– curry leaves
– Asafoetida powder
Music: Mahesh Rhagvan
SUCCESS IN YOUR POCKET!
M R Kopmeyer, in his book, ’How you can get richer, quicker’ suggests us to write down our ideas in 3” x 5”” cards and carry them in our pocket. Ideas in 3” x 5”” cards are for re-reading and study.
Frank Bettger in his book, “How I raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling” reveals his pocket reminder technique: “I made up a 3” x 5”” card, a ‘pocket reminder’, for each one of my subjects, with a brief summary of the principles. The first week, I carried the card Enthusiasm in my pocket. At odd moments during the day, I read these principles.”
Edison had a sign on his laboratory wall which read- There is a better way to do it –Find it”
All successful people used to have pocket reminders and motivational slogans.
We can write down success techniques in small cards and carry them wherever we go.
The catch words should be as brief as possible. I have prepared a list of pocket reminders in just three / two words. The list is given below:
1) Dramatize your ideas
2) Throw down challenge
3) Appreciate honestly
4) Do not nag
5) Do not criticize
6) Be courteous
7) Read good books
8) Be enthusiastic
9) Find key issue
10) Get the Facts
11) Go to God
12) Share Praise
13) Do not overreach
14) Try harder
15) Relax. Smile
16) Have more friends
17) Don’t give up
18) Have thinking time
19) Keep a diary
20) Do the best
21) Excel others
22) Have inspirational slogans
23) Not words, Action
24) Make your rules
25) Read history
26) Keep active
27) Dig within
28) Affirm enthusiasm
29) Picture your goal
30) Be humble
31) Show respect
32) Laugh at troubles
33) Avoid mental wandering
34) Be punctual
35) Say Thank You
36) Believe! God IS
37) Review every day
38) Write your goal
39) Visualize your success
40) Think up
41) Write down
42) Speak out
43) Build your image
44) Don’t openly challenge
45) Do not imitate
46) Scrutinize your values
47) Mobilize your resources
48) Prioritize your goals
49) Organize your network
50) Neutralize your opposition.
The list is endless. You can create your own list to suit your needs. Along with the catch phrase if you want you may add a brief summary also.
Constant remembering will yield results and success will be in your pocket.
The Benefits of Meditation – Part I (36 benefits listed)
Meditation is defined, scientifically, as a class of technique designed to influence an individual’s consciousness through the regulation of attention. But eastern wisdom
defines meditation as a technique to realize one’s own SELF.
The benefits of meditation are many. Some of them are given below:
1) Meditation produces a broad range of positive effects with different dependent variables.
2) It is self regulation strategy useful in behavioral medicine
3) It removes anxiety.
4) It develops increased congruence between one’s real and ideal self.
5) It is an integral part of holistic medicine.
6) It eliminates ego.
7) It helps individuals present centered.
8) It is a technique that helps individuals let go of thoughts.
9) It is a health-care tool.
10) Through meditation, extraordinary feats of bodily control could be achieved.
11) Through meditation, voluntary control of the autonomic nervous system is possible.
12) Stress related disorders can be eliminated
13) Expanded vision of human potential could be implemented
14) Ills of fast-paced technological culture could be eliminated.
15) Values of life will be let known.
16) The meditation is the easiest known technique one can learn.
17) The meditation is the easiest known technique one can practice.
18) There is no money involved in practicing meditation.
19) There is no age limit.
20) There is no gender bias.
21) One can practice meditation anywhere.
22) One can practice meditation anytime.
23) There is race, religion, national barriers.
24) There is no status involved.
25) One can improve physically.
26) One can improve mentally.
27) One can improve spiritually.
28) Meditation includes best qualities associated with humanistic tradition.
29) Pleasant and wonderful experiences will occur during meditation.
30) A healthy long life is ensured.
31) Bad dreams will be eliminated.
32) A good night sleep is assured.
33) Physical symptoms of tightening jaws, back and shoulders will not occur at stressful situations.
34) One could always be calm.
35) One could always be serene, pure with a glowing smile.
36) Shyness can be conquered.
In the next article, some more benefits will be listed out.
Pic Source :www.howtobeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/how-to-build-confidence-through-meditation.jpg
Ayurveda or The Science of life, how to live 100 years –ayurveda shows the way, 22 rules of general ethics to be followed
The term ‘Ayurveda’ consists of two words, namely ‘Ayus’ and ‘Veda’ meaning ‘The Science of Life’. It shows the way to live for hundred years. In order to live the prescribed 100 years, general ethics have been prescribed by sage Caraka. The detailed list of 22 rules is given in the third and final article of this series.
Ayurveda or The Science of Life shows the way to live one hundred years!-Part III
Sage Caraka has prescribed the code of conduct for the maintenance of good health, devoid of all diseases. One who assiduously follows these prescriptions lives for hundred years and does not meet with untimely death.
We have seen the principles of preventing “Psychosomatic disturbances” in part II. The code of general ethics is described by the sage in detail.
- One should not tell a lie nor should take over others properties nor should long for others wives or property, should not indulge in hatred or sinful activities.
- One should never be vice event to the vicious
- One should not disclose others defects
- One should not disclose others secrets
- One should shun the company of the unvirtuous, traitors, lunatics, fallen persons, abortionists, mean and crooked persons.
- One should not ride dangerous conveyances
- One should not sleep on a bed not well covered or without a pillow
- One should not walk on the uneven slopes of the mountain, climb a tree, take bath in a river having turbulent flow
- One should not trode on the shadow of kins or those born of noble families
- One should not move around place of fire
- One should not transgress the shadow of the sacred tree
- One should not enter the premises of a temple, a sacred tree, public court yard, cross road, garden, cemetery, and slaughter house
- One should not enter a solitary house or forest alone.
- One should not have relations with women, friends, or servants of bad conduct
- There should be no enmity with good men
- One should not indulge in ignoble or frightening acts nor one should take recourse to undue courage, sleeping, vigil, bath, drink, or food in excess quantity.
- One should not approach snakes or animals with dangerous teeth and horns.
- One should not provoke a quarrel
- One should not come to close to the fire without concentration of mind without a wash after taking food
- One should not heat his body by keeping fire below
- One should not go out without touching gems, ghee, feet of respectable persons, auspicious objects and flowers
- One should not pass through by keeping respectable persons or auspicious objects in left nor keeping others in right side.
Sage Caraka has given clear instructions regarding taking diet. Practice regarding natural urges, practice regarding relation with ladies, practice regarding study has been described in detail by him.
Those who follow the detailed instructions will live for one hundred years.
Ayurveda or The Science of life, how to live 100 years –ayurveda shows the way, 31 noble acts to prevent psychosomatic disturbances
The term ‘Ayurveda’ consists of two words, namely ‘Ayus’ and ‘Veda’ meaning ‘The Science of Life’. It shows the way to live for hundred years. In order to live the prescribed 100 years, to prevent any psychosomatic disturbances, 31 noble acts have been prescribed by sage Caraka. The detailed list of 31 acts is given.
Ayurveda or The Science of Life shows the way to live one hundred years!-Part II
In order to live the prescribed 100 years one has to perform certain noble acts. One who
observes these principles simultaneously fulfils both the objectives viz maintenance of
positive health and control of sense faculties. These are listed by Sage Caraka.
- One should pay respects to the Gods, cows, Brahmins, preceptors, elderly people. Those who have accomplished spiritual perfection and teachers.
- One should offer oblation to the fire
- One should wear good herbs
- One should perform Sandhya worship during dawn and dusk
- One should clean excretory passages and feet frequently
- One should have a hair cut, shave and nail cut-thrice every fortnight
- One should wear good apparel
- One should be happy, apply scent, wear good dress, comb the hair
- One should have a delightful face
- One should protect people in affliction
- One should perform religious ceremonies
- One should donate
- One should pay respect to cross roads, offer religious oblation called bali
- One should honor guests
- One should offer ‘pindas’ ( meaning a ball of lump rice to the manes) to
The departed ancestors
- One should speak timely, beneficial, measured, sweet words
- One should be self controlled and virtuous
- One should envy in action but not in the results thereof
- One should be careful and fearless
- One should be bashful and wise
- One should have enormous enthusiasm
- One should be clever, forbearing, virtuous
- One should have faith in God
- One should be devoted to teachers who have attained spiritual perfection and
Are advanced in modesty, intellect, learning, heredity and age
- One should use umbrella, a stick and shoes
- One should always acquit himself in auspicious way and display good manners
- One should avoid places with dirty apparel, bones, thorns, impure hair, chaff, garbage, ash, fragments of earthen vessels and the places of bath and worship
- One should stop exercise before exertion
- One should be friendly to all creatures, reconcile the angry, console the frightened, be merciful to the poor, be truthful and be predominantly of compromising nature and tolerant towards un palatable words uttered by others
- One should be controller of intolerance
- One should be peaceful disposition and conquer the very roots of attachment and hatred.
These thirty one acts will prevent any psychosomatic disturbances. Further, Caraka
also prescribed the code of general ethics which are to be followed for a healthy long life. These will be enumerated in the next article.
Pic Source : http://vedichealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ayurveda-spices.jpg
Hello Fitness Friends,
Welcome back to Season 2. Finally you can watch every Friday new
cooking & Fitness videos.
Today we are showing how to make “RAGI IDLI with Apple Chutney”.
– 200g RAGI
– 200g URDU LENTILS
– 100g COOKED BASMATI RICE
– 1 TEASPOON METHISEEDS
– 1 TABLESPOON YOGHURT
– LITTLE BIT SALT FOR FLAVOR
– 1 PEELD APPLE
– 1 TEASPOON CINNAMON
The Science of Life shows the way to live one hundred years!-Part I
The term ‘Ayurveda’ consists of two words, namely ‘Ayus’ and ‘Veda’ meaning ‘The Science of Life’.“The Hindu religion is not only a religion, but also a philosophy, not only a religion and philosophy but it is a way of life”- so says Somerset Maugham in his book “Points of View”.The Hindu religion places four ideals before the mankind.
1) Dharma meaning Righteousness
2) Artha meaning Wealth
3) Kama meaning Desire
4) Moksha meaning Liberation.
Dharma is associated with the soul itself which is to be inferred from its results.Artha is the attainment of wealth like gold, money etc. Kama is the fulfillment of desire like embracing women.Moksha is liberation from the world.In order to attain the above four, man has to live long. Out of the three basic desires namely desire to live, desire to earn and desire to perform virtuous acts, one should give priority to the desire for longevity; because with the end of life there is end of everything. There are four ages namely Satya Yuga or Satya age, Treta Yuga or Treta Age, Dvapapra Yuga or Dvaprara Age and Kali Yuga or Kali Age.
Human beings having disciplined life were enjoying a span of life for 400 years in Satya Age. In Treta Age it was reduced to 300 years. In Dvapara Age it was 200 years. And in the present Kali Age it is 100 years. “A cart with normal qualities and carriage comes to the stage of destruction, only after the expiry of the specified period. So the life of a person with undefined span of life is destroyed even before the attainment of the normal span of life due to his own faults” so says Agnivesa, the great sage.
To live happily one should take a wholesome diet. There are ten principles underlying the wholesome diet and its intake.
1) The food should be hot.
2) The food should be unctuous
3) The food should be taken in proper quantity
4) The food should be taken only after the previous meal is digested
5) The food- ingredients should not be contradictory in their potency.
6) The food should be taken in a pleasant place with required accessories
7) The food should not be taken in excessive hurry.
8) The process of intake should not be exceedingly slow.
9) While eating, one should neither talk nor laugh; during this time one should
concentrate on eating only.
10) Only such food should be taken which is wholesome to the physical constitution
and psychic temperament of an individual.
(The English translation of the verses of Caraka Samhita given in this series of articles is
by Dr Ram Karan Sharma and Vaidya Bhagwan Dash).
One who is desirous of living for hundred years should always perform certain noble acts
with proper care. The acts that are to be performed will be enumerated in the next article.
The term ‘Ayurveda’ consists of two words, namely ‘Ayus’ and ‘Veda’ meaning ‘The Science of Life’. It shows the way to live for hundred years. One should take wholesome food. There are ten basic principles to be followed. Certain noble acts are also laid down by ancient sages. In the age of Kali one can live for one hundred years. The secret science of Ayurveda should be studied by those who want to live joyful 100 years.
Ayurveda or The Science of life, how to live 100 years –ayurveda shows the way,